Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's about time...

Hello! I've finally decided to start blogging my med school experiences, mainly since I'm pretty horrible about calling people and updating them on my life. I've actually meant to do this since first year, but never got around to it ( I doubt anyone really wanted regular updates on board studying anyways). However, now that I'm a 3rd year and actually getting to see some interesting stuff, I figured it'd be as good of a time as any. So here we go...
I'm actually about 5 weeks into third year and my first rotation, OBGYN right now. I chose to do this first because I don't really have any interest in the specialty, and had heard it was a good one to get out of the way early. Luckily, I'm actually having a great time on this rotation. My first month was back in New Orleans, doing 2 weeks of night float (basically being at the hospital from 5pm-9am) and 2 weeks of outpatient clinic. Now I'm out in Pineville, LA for the month, at Huey P. Long hospital, aka Camp OBGYN. There's 6 of us students out here, we're staying in dorms summer camp style, only instead of arts and crafts, we get to do Pap smears all day. We have 3 residents out here, 2 are awesome and one is, well, entertaining. Our schedule varies each day, Mondays and Thursdays we see GYN clinic patients all day, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are OB clinic and surgeries, and Friday is half-day clinics. In our free time, we've been frequenting the bustling metropolis of Alexandria and its hot spots (Chili's, Logans Roadhouse). Sunday we went fishing! (it really is like camp!)
As for the cases I've seen, so far I've got to catch one baby, and was there for the delivery of a 10#7oz boy (he was huge!). I'll keep this updated as I see more cool stuff.

That's pretty much all for now, I'll try and do my best to keep this thing current!

No comments: