Friday, August 29, 2008

Back to Normal?

So I've been back from Pineville since Tuesday and as of today have officially finished my first rotation! All in all, I had a really good experience, which was a pleasant surprise. I still don't think that OBGYN is the specialty for me, but I am really glad that I enjoyed it, and I feel like I learned a lot.
Everyone has really been looking forward to this weekend, its the first time in 2 months that our whole class has had free time at the same time. Unfortunately, mother nature has put a damper on our relaxing long weekend. Everyone is watching Hurricane Gustav as it approaches the Gulf. No one is really sure where its going to hit, except that New Orleans is currently in its projected path. If it hits, it would likely be Monday or Tuesday, so they haven't declared any mandatory evacuations for the city yet. School is closed until Thursday, so regardless of what happens we'll have some time off. As of right now, most people I know are in wait and see mode, although a lot of people have already left. The timing of this couldn't really be worse for the city, as today is the 3rd anniversary of Katrina, so everyone is already on edge. This is the first potential evacuation that we've had since I've moved here, so its a little overwhelming. I'm planning on staying for now until we have a clearer idea of what the course of the storm will be. Ideally, it will pass, and we'll get a nice weeklong break. I'll try and keep this updated as things change. Oh, and in true Tulane fashion, our block party for tonight has not been canceled. I love this school.

No comments: